As we approach the winter season, I look forward to the cold evenings when I can snuggle up on the sofa with a warm cup of wassail. I generally prepare a very large amount so that my family can enjoy a cup as they leave in the mornings. Drinking wassail during the Thanksgiving and Christmas season is one of our family traditions. It makes you feel so exhilarated and puts you in the mood to engage in conversation.
Do you have a favorite recipe that’s a family tradition or that you would like to share?
- 2 quarts sweet apple cider
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 (46 oz.) can pineapple
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 – 1 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 4 sticks whole cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice berries
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Combine all the ingredients in a large pot.
- Simmer for an hour to several hours.
- Garnish with lemon and orange slices.
- Serve hot.
- Leftover wassail may be stored in the refrigerator and warmed for later use.
Twist: Nutmeg, serve with warm gingerbread. A little rum may be added to wassail if desired.