These Lemon Pie Turnovers are filled with lemon pie filling or you may use lemon curd. I used 5”x 5” puff pastry squares. The turnovers are so easy to make. Some of the squares were cut in half to make smaller turnovers for appetizers. Since each turnover is an individual serving, you may freeze them and reheat later. If your sweetie loves pies, consider these for Valentine’s Day.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Agave Nectar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
- 3 unbeaten egg yolks
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 packages puff pastry dough (8 squares each
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees F.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.
- Stir in milk.
- Add butter, lemon rind, and egg yolks (temper yolks).
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until thick.
- Add lemon juice.
- Place pastry sheets on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Place 2 tablespoons of lemon filling in the center of each pastry sheet.
- Moisten right and bottom edges of each square (use a small brush and water).
- Press down firmly on edges.
- Brush with egg wash (50% water – 50% eggs) on top.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.
Twist: Replaced half of the sugar with Agave Nectar