A Great Combination!
African cow peas also know as black-eyed peas, are filled with nutritional benefits. Several years ago I visited a very popular restaurant in New York. I don’t really remember my entrée but I do remember that my sister had black-eyed peas and some type of greens. It looked awesome and according to her, it was delicious. I had to try this dish; and here is my twist:
- 4 bunches greens (collards, mustards, etc., washed and torn into large pieces)
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon red crushed pepper flakes
- 1 smoked turkey part (drum stick, wing, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar (Natural Cane Sugar) or Agave Nectar
- 1 dried California Chili Pod (Anaheim chili, or New Mexico chili)
- In a large pot, cook onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until they sweat.
- Add water and smoked turkey part to onions and garlic.
- Cook about 15 minutes before adding greens.
- Add greens, broth, and remaining ingredients.
- Cook until the greens are tender (approximately 45 minutes or until tender)
- Combine black-eyed peas and greens in a bowl, enjoy
Twists: A home smoked turkey part enhances the flavor